Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

OUR everyday LIFE....

Wow look at that face, I think he loves Spaghetti.


Making Cookies with mom !




Sunday afternoon Nap time...go figure mom is the only one who didn't get a nap this week.


So last night I went to a awesome parenting class by JIM FAY


Jim Fay is one of America's most sought-after presenters and authors in the area of parenting and school discipline. His background includes 31 years as a teacher and administrator, over three decades as a professional consultant, and many years as the parent of three children. Jim's sense of humor and infectious spirit have made his interviews, audios, videos, and books popular with educators and parents as well as the national news media. Jim has discovered that fun stories are the most powerful way of helping people learn. He often comments, "People seem to learn best when they giggle. The seminar was held at the M highschool and I must say I was quite suprised to see as many parents as I did, including lots of parents from surrounding town. After I came home I discussed all of my notes with Trevor. We both realize we can be parenting in a total different way. Today I put the Love & Logic theory to test.
H man was misbehaving...so I just said " Oh how sad" made a huge deal out of what he did and gently put him in his room. I asked him if he wanted his door open or shut.
H: "Open"
Me: Ok don't come out till you are calm and hear the timer go off
H: Came out of his room right away
Me: " OH NO , that is too bad I guess you chose to have your door shut....
H: Having a moderate fit...ran out of his room
Me: " Oh how sad you chose to have your door locked" ( We can't lock him in his room so I had to stand at the door and hold it tight )
He threw a big fit ( like normal ) but instead of telling him to stop kicking the door and screaming...I ENCOURAGED IT...Yup you heard me right....I told him to throw a big fit and to hit the door harder...H was a litte stunned at my response. He continued to hit the door but soon found out that I wasn't giving in. When he finally became calm that is when I started the timer. He ended up being in his room twice today, but overall the day in of itself has been so pleasant.
BABY STEPS TO PARENTING the right way !
Don't get me wrong my kids can be such little sweethearts but just like every other toddler in the world they can become unruly just like the rest. I guess this is just a way in helping me be the best mom I can be. Who doesn't want help with there kids? Right. Jim Fay also offers many books and Cd's to help with parenting, definitly worth checking out.


6 comments:

Karleigh said...

wow I love the picture of Gunner and the mess on his face lol...Looks like you guys are having fun and are finally somewhat at home there. Hope things are great ttyl.

Jodi Pilling said...

Sounds like a GREAT class. We could all use a few tips on how to be better parents. Thanks for sharing!

Melanie said...

Hey Tiff, last year I took a class here in Twin on 'Love & Logic', and learned lots of great techniques on parenting. He was one of my favorite speakers. MY favorite was giving the kids 'choices' it's especially helpful for strong willed kids like my Sean. Glad to hear your doing well :)

Christal said...

your boys are so cute! I loved jim it was kind of fun to use the techniques but I need ALOT of help its hard but we can't expect to change it all over night either I guess! I saw you there tried to wave but you were on the other side from me! Have a great weekend!

Mary said...

Such a fan!! I bought the book "Parenting with Love and Logic" (I think it was a different author) a couple of years ago and I can't imagine trying to be a parent without it . . I never really understood how time out worked but it definitely takes revisiting regularly and I'm still not great at implementing it, but I love it when I have those break throughs and I've so been there with you on holding the door shut while the kid has a total spaz out on the other side. :)

Lynn said...

I never heard of this Jim Fray. Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like it was a GREAT presentation. That is SO cool that you walked away with some ideas and tips and implemented them right away. Shows you care. Great work mom! I had to chuckle. The story was funny cause everything you did seemed to work. Awesome.

HAppy Fall!!!